Google Calendar sync helps you coordinate your work schedule with a two-way sync between Severa and Google.
Paid Google Workspace account is required to use Google Calendar sync.
It is safe, secure and easy to set up using OAuth authentication. Once the authentication method has been established for an organization, individual users can enable and initiate the sync in Severa. Calendar sync transfers activities into Google as calendar events and calendar events from Google are transferred as activities.
User email addresses must be the same in both systems for the sync to work correctly.
To setup the calendar sync, you need admin permissions to both systems. Follow the instructions to do the required steps first in Google Cloud Platform Console and then in Severa.
First you need to set up an account for authorizing the sync (both Google Drive and Google Calendar). Follow the steps below to create a service account in the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Log into Google Cloud Platform Console as super admin user
- Choose from one of the options:
- If you haven't used the console before, agree to the Terms of Service and click Create Project.
- If you have used console before, at the top of the screen next to your most recent project name, click the arrow to open your projects list. Then, click New Project.
- Enter a descriptive project name and click Create.
- Click Menu > APIs & Services > Library
- Select Google Calendar API
- Click Enable
- In the top-left corner of the console, click Menu > IAM & Admin > Service accounts
- Click Create Service Account
- Enter a name for the service account, and click Create and continue
- In the Grant this service account access to project (optional) drop-down select the role of Project > Editor to the new account, and click Continue
- Click Done
- Click the name of the newly created service account
- Click the Keys tab
- In the Add key drop-down list, select Create new key
- Choose P12 as the key type, and click Create
- File named "your project.p12" will be downloaded to your computer.
- You'll need to upload this file into Severa later on, so remember the location of the file.
- Write down the private key password and Close the view
- Go back to Details tab
- Click Show advanced settings
- Copy the Client ID as you will need it in the next steps
- Click View Google Workspace Admin console under Domain-wide Delegation
- Go to Menu > Security > Access and data control > API Controls
- In the Domain wide delegation pane, select Manage Domain Wide Delegation
- Click Add new
- In the Client ID field, enter the service account's Client ID
- In the OAuth scopes (comma-delimited) field, enter the list of scopes that your application should be granted access to
- Google Calendar API: https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar.
- Click Authorize
Admin permissions are needed to access calendar sync settings.
- Go to Settings > Integrations > Google calendar
- Enter the Service Account Email that was created in Google
- Click Select private key file and locate the .p12 file from your computer and upload the file into Severa
- Click the edit icon to enter the Private key password
- Select what activity types are synced to Google
- It is not possible to restrict what calendar entries are synced from Google to Severa.
- Private entries from Google are matched to activity type "Personal" if such an activity type exists in Severa. All other entries get the default activity type.
- When finished with setting up the sync, use the toggle in the top right to enable the integration
If there are errors, verify that you have completed all the settings in Google and that both email address and password are correctly written.
Now that the sync is enabled for your organization, users can enable the sync in My profile for themselves.
When the sync is enabled in Settings, users can enable the sync. It is not possible to activate sync for others so users need to activate the calendar sync for themselves.
- Click your name in the top navigation and select My profile
- Go to Calendar & activities > Calendar synchronization
- Use the toggle to enable the sync
- When enabled, calendars will automatically be synchronized
All calendar events from Google will be synced to Severa, and all activities that are marked to be synced (a list of activity types can be opened by clicking the link) will be synced from Severa to Google.
Synchronization cycle is ~30 seconds.
Initial sync tries to match existing entries based on Subject/Activity name, Start date, Start time, End date, End time and Recurrence.
In the initial sync, entries older than 30 days are not synced, unless there are recurring activities with occurrences in future. After the initial sync, only changes are synced.
Sync is triggered by certain actions in Severa. If user is not logged in, sync is not started.
- After login and when navigating in
- When calendar entry is modified in
- If some other user in your company is using calendar sync and you are a participant or owner of the entry. Entry will be synced even though you do not have calendar sync in use.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback