- Creating an invoice
- View and edit invoice
- Receiver details
- Invoice billing details
- Invoice notes
- Notes before invoice rows
- Invoice rows
- Notes after invoice rows
- Invoice footer
- Invoice attachments
- Invoice's settings
- General settings
- Invoice's cases
- Invoice template settings
- Display or hide columns
- Define invoice row description
- Group invoice rows
- Save as invoice template
- Change invoice status
- Delete invoice
- Print invoice
- Export invoice as Excel or CSV file
- Download invoice as PDF file
Because all the project management related data is already in Visma Severa, such as work hours, travels and sold products, it is natural to create invoices with the same system. Depending on the pricing settings of cases, entered work hours, travels and products become billable items that can be invoiced from customers. Creating and editing invoices is easy and fast and there is a possibility to enlarge the invoicing features into e-invoicing and bookkeeping using ready made integrations.
The extensive invoicing options allow you to create custom invoices for all billable cases and track the status of invoices. All invoices automatically inherit account information, company-wide organization and invoice settings. See Settings for more information on the settings. If necessary, some of these settings can be customized for each invoice.
You can invoice customers case by case, or you can group several cases into one invoice. You can also create an invoice for an account and/or case that does not yet exist in the system. In this scenario, you need to provide the initial data for the new account and/or case when you create the invoice. You can complete the information for the new account and/or case once the invoice has been created. The process of creating a new invoice differs according to whether you create an invoice without existing expenses (fixed fees, mileage, work and travel hours), or create the invoice from scratch.
There are several locations to create invoice or invoices from. The locations to create invoices are listed below in more detail.
Search and open the case you wish to invoice. Create an invoice by clicking the "Ready to bill" amount in Overview-section or scroll down to Billing & Revenue -section and click "New invoice".
Search and open the account you wish to invoice. Create an invoice by clicking "New invoice" in Invoices-section.
New - Invoice view displays all items, hours and travels that are ready to be billed. From this view multiple invoices can be created at once. With the filters at the top, you can limit what is displayed. For example if you are a case owner, choose your name from "Case owner" drop down to review billable items related to your cases only. Another great filter is the "Date", for example entering last day of the previous month into the date field allows to create invoices that hold only the billable items until last day of the previous month.
Use the check box at the header to choose all rows for invoicing or mark check box at the beginning of each row manually. Scroll down the page and click "Create invoices".
When multiple invoices are created at once, a confirmation page is shown, with a list of invoices created. All created invoices will get the default invoice status defined in Tools > Settings > Invoice statuses.
Select "Group cases" check box before creating invoices if you wish to create only one invoice for several cases belonging to same account.
To create an invoice for account/case that is not displayed in the Ready to bill -list, click "None of the above, create new" -link.
When making the very first invoice the new invoice dialog is different from the regular new invoice dialog. In the dialog there are fields for your details (bank name, account number, BIC code, VAT number and the number of the first invoice) and for the customer’s details.
Bank name, Bank account number, BIC code and First invoice number are always mandatory and will be automatically filled if you have defined them in Visma Severa settings. The VAT number is usually mandatory but might be replaced with business id in some cases, for example if the organization is from the USA. The first invoice number is the number of the first invoice and the following invoice numbers are the number of the previous invoice plus one.
Under customer details the first thing that needs to be filled out is the customer name.
- To select an existing account, enter the firsts characters of the account name in the Account name field and select the correct account from the autocomplete list that appears
- After filling it in, the fields below become active and values can be chosen
- If any of the values are missing there is a possibility of add new data by clicking in the field and choosing “Add new". All the fields are mandatory.
To create a new account, click Add new.
Enter the initial details of the new customer and case.
invoice for an account or for a case can be created also from the reports. Open account or case report for example from the Browse or Reports-menu. Place your mouse on top of the +-icon in the beginning of each row to open action menu. From the menu choose New invoice.
Visma Severa's invoice is divided into sections. When invoice is in draft status each section can be edited separately by clicking the pen icon on the left. Invoice has two tabs on the top left corner "Invoice" and "Settings". As default, Invoice tab is always selected when invoice is opened for review. From the icons on the top of the page, you can send invoice via email or you can download and print invoice. From the tabs on the top right corner, invoice can be reimbursed, a reminder can be printed, invoice status can be changed and invoice can be deleted.
Company's own logo can be added to be visible on the invoice. Position of the logo is defined in the invoice template. The actual logo is added from Tools - Settings - Company details - Logos or Tools - Settings - Business units when Organizational hierarchy add-on is enabled.
Edit invoice receiver's details. When using financial integrations with e-Invoicing, the e-invoicing details are edited directly on the account card. When account has e-invoicing address, the invoice is automatically recognized as e-invoice.
- Account name comes from case's account as default. The name can be edited on an invoice, but a notice to customers using financial integrations: in every integration the original account from case is transferred as invoice receiver into the financial software.
- Billing address is added on the account card in Contact information -section. A default billing address can be selected for a case on case's Billing details -section. If account has only office or postal addresses, one of those is used as a billing address. If no addresses have been added for account, only the account name will display on an invoice.
- VAT number is added on account card in Account information -section. If VAT number has not been added for an account the field on invoice is empty.
Changes made for receiver details on an invoice will affect this invoice only.
Billing details section has information valuable to the customer, such as invoice number, references or contact details. Most of the information can be preset in for example case's Billing details -section. When editing information directly on the invoice, the default assumption is that edited information is wanted only for the current invoice. Therefore, to update case's billing details a check box at the bottom must be separately selected.
- Invoice number displays the invoice status until invoice status is changed to for example "Sent". The status settings can be changed in Tools > Settings > Invoice statuses. Invoice number cannot be edited on an invoice, it is a running sequence that is defined in Tools > Settings > Invoice numbering.
- Invoice date as default is the date when invoice was created. Changing the invoice date will affect the invoice due date.
- Account contact is a contact from account card. A default account billing contact for a case can be added in case's Billing details -section.
- Our reference, your reference and order number are all free text fields where information for the customer can be entered. Default texts can be entered in case's Billing details -section. If no information has been given on a case, these fields will be empty and they are only shown when invoice details -section is in edit mode.
- Payment terms can be edited on an invoice, but the default is looked from 1. Case's billing details 2. Account's billing details 3. Business unit of the case (if Organizational hierarchy add-on is enabled) 4. Tools > Settings > Company details > Document preferences.
- Overdue interest can be edited on an invoice, but the default is looked from 1. Case's billing details 2. Business unit of the case (if Organizational hierarchy add-on is enabled) 4. Tools > Settings > Company details > Document preferences.
- Billing contact as a default is the person who created the invoice. A default billing contact for a case can be added in case's Billing details -section.
Invoice notes is an invoice specific free text field. When text is entered on an invoice, it will be visible on this invoice only. From case's Billing details -section you can add text that will be displayed on this field for every invoice created for the case. Read more about the free text fields from Invoice notes and free text fields with automated tags -article.
Notes before invoice rows is a free text field where useful general information for the customer can be shown. This field allows normal text to be entered and it also provides the use of automated tags and even html formatting. The texts that appears here comes from the invoice template. When the text is edited on the invoice itself, invoice template changes to "custom". This means that next invoices of this case will also have the edited text. Read more about the free text fields from Invoice notes and free text fields with automated tags -article.
When invoice is created, all the billable items from the case or cases are added to the new invoice automatically. When editing invoice rows section, you can add or remove invoice rows and you can mark rows non-billable or billable. You can also edit the existing rows by canging quantity, unit price or VAT or re-typing description of the row. The way invoice rows are shown comes from the invoice's settings or invoice's template's settings. Settings define if rows are shown as grouped or not and which columns are visible on the invoice.
Edit view of invoice rows consists of two main sections: "Invoice items" and "Uninvoiced items". In the first section, you can add new invoice rows, or you can remove current rows from the invoice.
Products, travel expenses and work hours are shown under their own categories. When invoice rows are not grouped, all the items are listed under each main category. When invoice rows are grouped, the grouping is also shown in the edit mode so that each grouping becomes a subtotal row showing all the connected items. This way it is easy to see which individual rows are connected to which grouped row on the invoice.
For each row, description, quantity, measurement unit, unit price and Vat can be changed. Character limit is 500 in description field.
When using an integration there might a pen icon in front of each invoice row so that editing of invoice row's cost center, sales account etc. is possible.
To add more rows to the invoice go to the "Add new product to [case]" at the end of the Products-section. A product, from product register can be added when typing a part of the product name into the search field. Once existing product has been selected, a description can be written into the same field (the product name doesn't have to be visible, it can be overwritten, the connection is still kept). If there is no need to add a product from product register, then typing just a description for the row is enough.
To remove an item from the invoice, there are two options: "Bill later" and "Set as non-billable". Rows are selected by ticking the check box in front of the row, then selecting the preferred option from the "Action"-menu at the bottom of the Invoice items -section. Option "Bill later" will remove the item from the invoice, keeping the item status "billable" on the case and when next invoice for the case is created, the item is selected on that invoice. Option "Set as non-billable" will remove the item from the invoice, setting the item status "non-billable" on the case and when next invoice for the case is created, the item is not on that invoice. The removed items can be added to the invoice from the Uninvoiced items -section.
The Uninvoiced items consists of items that are either uninvoiced (in black color) or non-billable (in red color). Non-billable items are not shown until "Show non-billable" check box is enabled at the top of the section.
Both uninvoiced and non-billable items can be moved to the current invoice using "Bill now" option in the Action-menu. Another option is to set uninvoiced items as non-billable.
To change the order of invoice rows, click the up and down arrow -icon on the left. Drag and drop rows into the wanted places, then save changes. The changes are saved for this invoice only.
Ordering of the rows should be done as last change to the invoice, since if you decide to add more rows or change the invoice grouping settings, the invoice rows are returned to the original order.
Notes after invoice rows is a free text field where useful general information for the customer can be shown. This field allows normal text and html formatting. The texts that appears here comes from the invoice template. When the text is edited on the invoice itself, invoice template changes to "custom". This means that next invoices of this case will also have the edited text.
Read more about the free text fields from Invoice notes and free text fields with automated tags -article.
Invoice footer is the last section of the invoice. Normally it contains basic contact information for your company. Data in the footer comes from Tools > Settings > Company details > Document preferences. Tags can be used in this field, for example [Address] always displays the address entered in Company details > Overview. When Organizational hierarchy add-on is enabled footer and data that is displayed by tags, is fetched from business unit.
Documents saved as a PDF can be attached to an invoice. The button to add pdf files is located at the bottom of the invoice. Invoice attachments appear in a list below the invoice and can be organized for printing order. Attachments are specific to this invoice only. When invoice is printed, all the attachments are printed with the invoice.
Invoice has a tab called Settings (top left corner). From this view various layout and formatting settings can be defined for invoice. Some settings will get the default values from case, account, business unit or company details, but there are also settings that when they are defined for one invoice, they are copied to the next invoice of the same case, next invoice of new case of the same account, next invoice in the business unit or next invoice in the organization. Settings on this page are editable when invoice is in a draft status. Read more about each setting from below.
- Date of entry defines for which month the revenue of the invoice is added. Revenue is added to the case when invoice is set to "Sent" status and the total amount of invoice goes to the date of entry month. As a default date of entry is the same as Invoice date. Date of entry can be changed by editing invoice's settings or using invoice mass-update tool to update multiple invoices at once.
- Payment date is for following when invoice was paid. When invoice status is changed to a "Paid", payment date is at the same time automatically generated to the invoice. "Paid" status usually means that invoice cannot be edited anymore and due to this payment date cannot be manually changed on the invoice unless status is first changed to for example "Draft". But because this is not preferred process, payment date can be changed using invoice mass-update tool even when invoices otherwise are read-only.
- Language: Choose the language of the invoice from the dropdown. In Visma Severa, invoice is always displayed based on the language-setting of the user viewing the invoice. Language selection translates the field headers on the invoice, so it is good to keep in mind that own texts, such as invoice row descriptions or invoice free texts aren't translated. To review the changed language of invoice, print the invoice as PDF. Default language of the invoice comes from the account's Account information -section. If language for account is not selected, the default comes from Tools > Settings > Company details > Overview or from business unit, when Organizational hierarchy add-on is enabled.
- Formatting: Formatting will change the way numbers, currency symbols and dates are displayed on the invoice. Each country has it's own formatting so when sending invoices abroad, it's good to check that formatting of the receiver's country is selected. In Visma Severa, invoice is always displayed based on the formatting-setting of the user viewing the invoice. To review the changed formatting of invoice, print the invoice as PDF. Default formatting of the invoice comes from Tools > Settings > Company details > Overview or from business unit, when Organizational hierarchy add-on is enabled.
- Currency: When Multi-currency add-on is not enabled, invoices can be created using only the organization's currency. Organization currency is defined in Tools > Settings > Company details > Overview. With Multi-currency add-on invoices can be created using various currencies. Invoices will then use the currency selected for the case. Currency cannot be edited on the invoice itself.
- Reverse charge: Remove taxes from the invoice when doing a sale where customer is responsible for tax reporting. When check box is enabled a text box will appear to enter a description why reverse charge is used.
One invoice can have items from one or more cases. When invoices are created from New - Invoice there is an option to group cases. Alternatively if you have already created an invoice, you can add more items to the invoice from other cases of the same account by clicking the Settings tab of the invoice. The drop-down for adding cases is only visible when the invoice's account has other cases and those cases have something to invoice.
When new cases are added via invoice's settings, the billable items will not be added to the invoice straight away. Instead invoice rows need to be edited and the billable items must be picked to the invoice from the "Uninvoiced items" section.
On an open invoice, click the Settings tab
From the drop-down menu under Cases, select the case you want to add to the invoice and click Add
Click the Invoice tab
Click the Edit icon next to Description
From Uninvoiced items, check the boxes next to the hours/fixed fees you want to add to the invoice. The list contains all billable hours and fixed fees linked to the new case.
From the second Action drop-down menu, select Bill now
Cases can also be removed from the invoice. Removing a case will also remove all the items related to that case from the invoice.
On an open invoice, click the Settings tab
Click Remove next to the case you want to remove
Click OK on the confirmation dialog window that opens
All the rest of the settings on the invoice page are also part of the invoice template. Making changes to these settings on the invoice will change the invoice template into "custom" and invoices created for this case will then follow the custom settings. Read more about the invoice template.
- Invoice template is a list of templates created in Tools > Settings > Invoice templates or "custom" when invoice is not following a settings from a template. Custom can be changed back to any of the invoice templates and after this the current invoice and next invoices of the case will follow the setting from the template.
- Style: Default color for invoice is Red, but other colors can be selected from the Style-menu.
- Show logo and invoice title: By default organization logo and invoice title (Invoice) is shown but you can choose to hide them from invoice Settings if needed
On Settings-tab of the invoice you can define which columns will be shown on the invoice (and on the invoice attachment if invoice rows are grouped with attachment). Enable or disable the check boxes for columns you wish to display or hide. Notice that changing these settings on the invoice will make the invoice template case specific.
When invoice rows are not grouped, item description on the invoice Settings-tab defines what is displayed on the invoice rows in the Description field. Define different descriptions for work hours, travel expenses and products using the automated tags.
Selected tags are shown in red color with brackets on the left side and automated tags that can be added are displayed as blue links on the right side. Add tags by clicking the blue links. To add a tag into a certain place on the left, click your mouse cursor first into the box into the wanted space, then click the tag on the right. Remove selected tags with your keyboard and mouse, by clicking cursor into the field and then hitting backspace. Selected tags can be moved around also with cut and paste.
Remember that invoice row description will show exactly what is typed here. If you add tags without spaces or commas to separate words, also the invoice row description will be shown without spaces or commas.
Use item grouping on invoice's Setting's tab to define if work hours, travel expenses and/or products should be shown as grouped on the invoice. Mark the check box to enable grouping, then define how items should be grouped. At the end of the row you can also define if you wish to show the grouped items in a breakdown. In the breakdown, the items will have the description defined in Item descriptions and the columns are shown based on the selections made in Display columns.
Notice that it is not always possible to group all the similar items to one row. For example same products with different unit price are on separate rows. Also when using financial integrations with cost centers, one invoice row cannot include multiple cost centers causing each cost center to be it's own row.
Users who have access to Visma Severa's settings can save changes made on the invoice as organization's invoice template. This is useful when same settings are needed on other invoices. Enabling a check box will open a "name" box where new template name is written. Save invoice's settings and new template clicking the Save button.
An invoice has three statuses by default: Draft, Sent and Paid. Depending on your company settings, your invoice may also have other statuses.
The statuses are used to follow invoice's lifecycle. For example, you can create reports based on the statuses and other invoice criteria and follow for example overdue invoices or invoices that are waiting to be sent to customers.
The default status of the new invoice is draft. Before changing the status of a draft invoice and sending it to the customer, you should check carefully that all data is correct. You can create more statuses, to support for example invoice approval process. Invoice statuses can be changed back and forth, but you should never edit an invoice that has been sent to customer. Note that it is possible to limit to which invoice status employee can set invoices to. For example you can define that project managers are able to create invoices into draft, and perhaps even sent them, but only business controller can mark the invoice paid. See more from our Access rights -article.
To change the status of an invoice:
- Open the applicable invoice
- Select the desired status from the Status drop-down list
- Click the Save-button
Invoices that haven't gotten an invoice number can always be deleted. If invoice has a number, only the invoice with the latest number can be deleted. Credit notes or credited invoices cannot be deleted. When invoice is deleted all items will be again billable and editable on the case. When invoice cannot be deleted the delete button at the top right corner displays in grey color.
You can print the invoice you are currently viewing by clicking the icon at the top of the invoice. Invoice is opened as PDF for review and for printing.
Depending of your web browser settings, the invoice can either open straight away for review when clicking the icon, or you might need to open it yourself from the browser's downloads. If you are having troubles with the pdf printing, contact our customer support. There are also helpful instructions in the internet that can be found when searching for "how to make pdf open in browser". For example instructions how to view PDF files in Firefox without downloading them.
We also offer mass printing option from the invoices-report. Select maximum of 50 invoices, download them into one file and print the file. Read more from Mass update tool -article.
You can export invoice data and invoice rows data from Severa into Excel or CSV. In Excel or CSV the data from Severa can then be processed further, for example into Pivot tables or charts and diagrams.
- Open any of your existing Invoice or Invoice rows reports, or create a new report.
- Click the icon.
- File is downloaded and depending of your web browser settings, it will ask you to open the file, or you need to go to "downloads" to open it.
You can download individual invoice from the PDF ICON at the top of the invoice. Multiple invoices can be downloaded using our mass update -tool, found on the Invoices-report. Read more from Mass update tool -article.