Recurring billing (included in Premium and Enterprise packages) is a convenient way to ensure that repeat charges become billable on schedule. For example, ongoing projects may have flat rate service fees that are billed monthly (i.e. licenses or monthly fees).
Adding a recurring fee on a project
Recurring fees can be added from project's Fees & other expenses section.
Fees can be products from product register or just project-specific fees.
- Select Add fee or cost
- Enter a name for the fee or choose it from product register. If an existing product is used, it is possible to define a more specific name for it in the Description field.
- Fill in the pricing details. These details are also editable later and the changes will affect the new uninvoiced entries of this product.
- Select Recurring to Billable selection. Note that once the product is selected as recurring, it can't be changed afterwards.
- Define a recurring rule for the product. Note that the Start date and Repeat every x month fields get locked after the row has been invoiced for the first time.
- Repeat every: Invoicing frequency, for example every 6 months
- Start date: The date when the first entry gets ready for invoicing
- Recurrence end:The end of the reccurrence. This settings is editable afterwards.
- Never: Row recurs until it gets ended manually
- Number of times: Used when you want to end the recurrence after certain amount of entries. The amount of recurrences is defined on Times field
- On date: Recurrence ends on the date set on End date field
- Start date of invoice row's display period: The start date of the time period on the text displayed when the entry gets invoiced
Frequency or Start date cannot be changed after the fee has been billed but Description, Quantity, Unit, Cost, Price and VAT can be changed at any time.
Recurring fee on project
Recurring fees will be shown on project's Fees & other expenses section. It will be shown under the Billable now and/or Billable later title. The price of the recurring fee will be shown on project. If the billing date is in the future the date will also be shown with the recurring information. This way you will recognize recurring fees more efficiently.
Option to end a recurring billing cycle can be changed at any time but
- End date can’t be made earlier than the last date billed
- Number of times can’t be made less than the number of occurrences that have already been billed
A fee without recurrence can be changed to a recurring fee by editing the Billable value of the fee and filling in the recurrence details.
What happens to a recurring fee if I delete an invoice that includes this item?
If recurring fee is invoiced, and then the invoice is deleted or the fee is removed from that invoice, the fee becomes available in the project for billing as a regular fee and changes to the recurring fee will not affect this item.
What happens if I delete a billable recurring fee from Fees and other expenses section?
Deleting recurring fee will end the recurring billing cycle (no future recurrences). Note that if you delete a recurring fee that has been invoiced and then removed from the invoice, the billing cycle is not ended as the recurring fee is recognized as regular product.
What happens when I reimburse an invoice that has recurring fees?
When reimbursing an invoice, you have two options regarding how to handle the invoice rows:
- Create only reimbursement: Recurring fee is marked as non-billable on project and the recurring billing cycle is ended.
- Create reimbursement and new invoice: Recurring fee is added automatically as new invoice row. No changes to recurrence rule.
How to add recurring fee that is billable on the 15th but where the invoice row's period starts from the 1st of upcoming month?
When you add a new recurring fee, you need to set both Start date and Start date of invoices row's display period.
- Start date: Date when row becomes billable
- Start date of invoices row's display period: Start date of the period that can be seen on customers invoice
When you add the rule set the Start date as the date you want to rule become billable in Severa, i.e. 15th of May. Then set the Start date of invoices row's display period as the date where the actual billing period starts, i.e. 1st of June.
Now the row becomes billable already in the middle of the month but the billing period starts from the beginning of the next month.